On average, the desktop support specialists annual salary is $7,482 lower than what help desk engineers make on average every year. Once you’ve obtained the level of education you’re comfortable with, you might start applying to companies to become a help desk engineer.
What do I need for a help desk job?
- An Associate's degree in computer science or related field.
- A strong working knowledge of computer systems, hardware, and software.
- Good problem-solving, analytical, and team-working skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- An openness to learning new technologies.
We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs. Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog. If you haven’t honed your ability to perform well under pressure, it may be extremely distressing.
What Do Help Desk Engineers Do?
Unfortunately, even when things work out there is generally not much reward. Additionally, information engineers earn a higher salary in the technology industry compared to other industries. Additionally, help desk engineers earn an average salary of $67,498 in the finance industry. But if you’re interested in companies where you might earn a high salary, help desk engineers tend to earn the biggest salaries at Bain & Company, Booz Allen Hamilton, and Cognizant. At Booz Allen Hamilton, help desk engineers earn an average of $83,961, while the average at Cognizant is $72,586. You should take into consideration how difficult it might be to secure a job with one of these companies.
- They also handle the software configurations and upgrading the network infrastructure to avoid system downtimes and operational delays.
- With the recent advent of sophisticated online simulations, and PC hardware packages which can be mailed to remote students, help desk technician training works well in a distance learning format.
- On average, desktop support specialists reach similar levels of education than help desk engineers.
- One of the most important traits of an excellent help desk technician is the willingness to learn.
Responding to queries on the phone, via email, in person, or through remote access. Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards. The goal is to create value for clients that will help preserve the company’s reputation and business.
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Help Desk Engineers?
Understandably, they may have a short temper when they finally reach you. To calm them down and earn their trust and confidence, you’ll need to adopt a patient attitude. More than anyone else, a help desk technician has the power to give employees across all departments a positive view of IT since they are usually the first IT pro that an employee encounters. Because of this, it’s critical that help desk technicians possess specific qualities.
- Strong communication skills are also essential, as help desk specialists must effectively communicate solutions to both technical and non-technical individuals.
- Review the job openings, similar jobs, level of education, and experience requirements for the Help Desk Engineer job to confirm that it is the job you are seeking.
- Desktop support technicians maintain the safety and security of networks, preventing unauthorized access and illegal dissemination of database information.
- A college degree is not typically required for entry-level help desk positions, however it may help you get the interview and job faster – and at a higher pay grade – than candidates with no degree.
You’ll have an opportunity to adopt more technologies and services and grow further within the IT team. Responds to telephone calls, email and personnel requests for technical support within required service level time frame. IT certifications in support can vary between college courses and apprenticeships. Support engineers often learn on the job and cater services to specific businesses, software, and hardware.
Discover how your pay is adjusted for skills, experience, and other factors
The next role we’re going to look at is the desk support technician profession. In fact, they earn a $11,729 lower salary than help desk engineers per year.
An IT help desk engineer can expect to earn something between $55,000-$65,000 annually. Depending on the company, IT help desk engineers can also work per hour. At FieldEngineer, we vet all our IT help desk engineers according to skills and certifications, ensuring we find you the right person for the job.
A help desk solution is the main point of contact for service requests and user issues. While some skills are shared by these professions, there are some differences to note. “laptops,” “escalate,” “desk support,” and “mac” are skills that have shown up on help desk engineers resumes. Additionally, senior infrastructure engineer uses skills like cloud, aws, powershell, and puppet on their resumes.
What your skills are worth in the job market is constantly changing. Troubleshoot, 7%Maintain and troubleshoot end user applications including Microsoft Office Suite, QuickBooks, GMED, and various other third party applications. We calculated that 11% of Help Desk Engineers are proficient in Technical Support, Troubleshoot, and Active Directory. They’re also known for soft skills such as Customer-service skills, Listening skills, and Speaking skills. Monitored and troubleshot network equipments including routers, remote site infrastructures switches, firewalls, modems etc. Served as Senior support to over 300 end users in a primarily Windows XP/ Active Directory /Exchange Environment.
Desktop Support Engineer/Technician
The highest help desk engineer annual salary stems from the finance industry. Now, we’ll look at senior infrastructure engineers, who generally average a higher pay when compared to help desk engineers annual salary. In this section, we take a look at the annual salaries of other professions.
Browse campus & online degrees, vocational certificates and self-paced courses matching the help desk technician education requirements and career path. With the recent advent of sophisticated online simulations, and PC hardware packages which can be mailed to remote students, help desk technician training works well in a distance learning format. The hourly wage for help desk technicians ranges from $12 to $44 per hour, depending on location, technical specialty, years of experience, and certifications held. • Properly document all issues in tickets and update knowledge base articles for other engineers.